A practical guide to teaching with compelling, comprehensible input (CI)
One-day online workshop on the motivational impact of teaching languages through compelling, comprehensible inputs (CI).
How is the workshop structured?
About the presenter
- Dr. Liam Printer is a published author and has been a teacher of English, French & Spanish in a variety of settings for over 15 years. He currently teaches Spanish at The International School of Lausanne in Switzerland where he is also the ‘Leader of Pedagogical Innovation’, focusing on bringing research into classroom practice. Liam has been teaching with a CI-based approach for over 8 years and has been invited to present on CI techniques at the Agen CI Conference in France as well as a number of CI conferences in the US. He has been invited as the Keynote speaker at a number of International Language Learning conferences and he also lectures on the PGCE course with the University of Durham and the International School of Geneva. He completed his Doctorate on ‘the motivational pull of teaching languages through storytelling with CI’ at the University of Bath. Liam now hosts The Motivated Classroom podcast which has had over 95,000 downloads to date.
What is ‘teaching with CI’?
- CI stands for ‘comprehensible input’. After over 40 years of research, it is widely accepted by language acquisition scholars that humans ‘acquire’ languages implicitly and naturally through receiving lots of rich, interesting and comprehensible inputs.
- Teaching with a CI based approach involves helping learners to acquire language naturally by listening and reading. It focuses primarily on establishing meaning rather than on grammatical accuracy and form.
- While communication and understanding is the central focus, grammar instruction is still present in the CI classroom but it is minimised as the goal is to help students to acquire the language rather than learn about the language.
- A CI approach includes lots of learner autonomy; subtly moving the focus towards the learner, their interests, their passions and helping them to communicate what they want to communicate rather than what the textbook tells us they should say.
- The CI based classroom uses research based strategies and techniques to talk with the students rather than talk at the students.
- CI based approaches have been shown in research to be highly motivating and engaging, resulting in higher retention and uptake of languages.
What will I be learning?
- The workshop revolves around zero-prep, practical, classroom strategies designed to provide rich, compelling, comprehensible inputs (CI) that you can implement right away.
- We will go through some of my favourite, daily, CI activities stemming from research based evidence around intrinsic motivation and developing communication.
- For parts of the day you will be ‘students’ in my class, acquiring a language naturally through the eyes of a learner using CI based approaches.
- At the end of the workshop, participants will have the tools and resources to try out the following techniques in their classrooms:
- Special person interviews
- Creating an invisible character
- Clip chat and Picture-Talk
- Building a co-created story
- Special person interviews
Where can I get more information?
What is included in the course fee?
- Three x 1.5 hour online, interactive, workshops
- Pre-course questionnaire analysis
- Post-course e-mail support
- All presentations, handouts and resources will be provided digitally
- A post-course certificate of attendance entitled "One day workshop on teaching with comprehensible input"
1. The great 're-wilding our nature' environmental protection project to help save our planet.
2. Providing sporting and integration opportunities to refugees with the EVAM refugee welcome centres in Switzerland.
Sounds interesting! How do I sign-up?
- You can book your place on the course by clicking "Buy Now" below
- If you can't book right now but want to be kept informed about future workshops, you can Click here to register your interest without any financial commitment.
- Please note: Registering your interest on the form does not provide access to the workshop.
- To attend the workshop and book your place, you must click on "Buy Now" below.